Monday, August 30, 2010

Mental Health Monday-Self Revelations of An Overthinker

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." ~Alan Cohen


Last week was a really tough week.  I have some serious stressors happening in my life that have been driving me CRAZY.  They have been driving my crazy because I have let them drive me crazy in my head.  What this means is that I OVERTHINK what is happening.


How many readers out there are or know overthinkers?  You know this type:  Smart, yet has to analyze every angle of every situation, problem or decision before acting upon it?  Well, that is me-or WAS me.


I have been analytical most of my life.  I think very mechanically naturally, so I like to look at things, break them apart and put them back together.  And, in part as a defense mechanism, when something unexpected or stressful happens, I have to analyze every angle to understand the WHY of it.


Now, this is not necessarily a bad trait-in fact, I have always liked the fact that I can look at a problem, see both sides of the story, and make a informed decision from it.  The problem manifested itself because I was overthinking EVERYTHING that came into my life.  And this overthinking was preventing me from truly moving forward with my dreams and aspirations.  It would lock up my decision-making process and prevent my decisions to just move forward naturally.  For example, a decision about what to fix for breakfast for my two kids and myself would play in my head like this:


"Okay, eggs and toast sound great!  But I only have six eggs left and that would be two eggs apiece and then I have to go to the grocery store because I won't have any eggs for tomorrow!  Crap! When am I going to get to the grocery store!? I have so much to do today!  And I didn't want to go until the end of the week!  So if I plan to go to the grocery store maybe between work appointments today and run the eggs home and then leave again, then we will have eggs for tomorrow's breakfast.  Will I have time to do that or will that make me late for my next appointment?  I can't be late!  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...and so on.... and so on.....


This type of overthinking will drive you to the funny farm wanting drugs, a strait jacket and a rubber room playing classical music.


This is where my self-revelation comes in.  A friend of mine is a life-coach and he and I were talking about life and business.  And I was prattling on about my financial situation and why it  is the way it is and he stopped me and said, "Merri Lou, do you forgive people in your life?"
I stopped yapping, looked at him funny, thought about it seriously and answered, "Yes, yes I do."  And then he said, "Do you ever forgive yourself?"


That statement hit me like a ton of bricks.  I started crying.  "No, I don't."  So he said, "Start now.  If you forgive yourself for the things you have done wrong, you don't have to overthink everything so hard about the stuff that you messed up or can't control the outcome.  Just let life unfold the way it it meant to.  SURRENDER to your inner voice, your inner being, the way your heart feels."


I cried on the way home that evening.  And I verbally out loud in my car forgave myself for my mistakes I have made in the past.  It was a true revelation for my head and nice to be reminded that not everything is meant to be analyzed and not to be so hard on myself for being human.  


So my Mental Health Monday tip for today is this: 


Your head doesn't have to do all of the work.  Forgive yourself for the mistakes you have made, know that you can't control all outcomes and focus on all of the positives you have in your life and the positive situations.  Be conscious of your thoughts and the manifestations that come from them.  Have the courage to surrender to your inner being as part of your decision process.  The freedom of the stress you feel will be unbelieveable.


In the last week, my stress levels have dropped significantly and my work has increased.  New projects has been dreamed and are being implemented without overthinking that it could be too much to take on.  It's not.  My inner being tells me loudly that I am on the right track with my life.  And I am listening.


Oh, and by the way, I was also told to think like my bank account has millions of dollars in it-I just choose the way I spend it. It can help manifest thoughts about bringing more money into your life.  So I just want to share with you that I have $200 million dollars in my account right now.  I'm DEFinitely not overthinking that! :-)


Make it an amazing Monday!


~Merri Lou

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! This is some great advice! I just became a millionaire too :) That was much easier than I thought it would be.

    April Kalivas

    ReplyDelete