Friday, October 21, 2011

What's the Connection Between Mind and Body?



There is an Indian Belief that everyone is in a house of four rooms: A 

physical, a mental, an emotional and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in 

one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, 

even if only to keep it aired, we are not complete. 

~Rumer Godden (House of Four Rooms)





I've been on a mindful journey lately. I have always been a physical being, and being an expert in health and wellness is a reflection of that.  But as I've lived my life, I've learned how important it is to not only keep your body healthy, but to work on the mind as well. 

So today I went on a jog/hike up in the hills near my home. I know for me, to think clearly, I need to move.  And when I move, I tend not to think about the day-to-day chores that need to be accomplished, but about the things I am grateful for and what and who I want to be as I 'grow up'.

One of the things I want to understand is the full connection between Mind and Body.

I had a friend let me borrow 'The Secret' to watch and one of the golden nuggets I gleaned from it was this quote from Bob Proctor, a philospher, summarizing the video: 

"Mind is movement and your body is a manifestation of that movement." 

I LOVE THIS.  

I've always viewed the body as a machine, being controlled by the brain through neuromuscular pulses running down our muscles to make them move the way we want them to move in a voluntary manner. The brain was just the signal outputter, but the body was the actual movement.

But to view the brain as the MOVEMENT ITSELF fascinates me. Our thoughts-conscious and subconcious, creates energy to make us move.  And that is done through our thinking processes where we only use 5-10% of our brains.

IMAGINE potentially using all of our brain power in the quest to move the way we want to move.  What would we be able to accomplish?  How fast could we run?  How strong could we be?How high could we fly?  :-)

There have been studies done where athletes were hooked to brain wave measurement machines and they were asked to go through a workout of their specific sport mindfully. Scientists found that the same muscle fibers fired in the same sequence through visualization  as well as through their physical movement. INCREDIBLE.

So as you start your workouts, start with visualizing what you see yourself doing, how hard you will be working, what the results will be when you finish.

And this visualization can be applicable to any aspect in your life.  Your home, your work, your family-the sky's the limit! 

So as you enter this weekend, be sure to mentally see what you can physically do.  There just is no greater connection to be able to achieve your goals. Go for it!  You can do it!  :-)














No comments:

Post a Comment